10.1.13

WotD #5 - Jeg kan ikke tåle...

...nødder og jordnødder.



This would have been smart / useful to know before coming to Denmark. I know it now. So that's something.

The first bit is "I'm allegric / intolerant to..." and the last bit is "...nuts and peanuts". It's a little confusing in the shops of Copenhagen. Peanut - and it is written that way - seems to be universal for any kind of nut. We all know that the peanut isn't really a nut at all, but is instead a legume. We all do.

As it turns out, the peanut is more closely related to the soybean than it is to the walnut or cashew or Brazil nut or almond or any kind of tree nut. As Roy will happily explain to you, at length, the peanut is a new world food. It was invented by by George Washington Carver. And Jimmy Carter.

This - in case it wasn't painfully obvious - was supposed to be a joke. I apologize.

First, to John Hodgman; that this vague pastiche of his style required an explanation. Second, it is highly likely that I have stolen this fake fact / joke without realizing it. Or did I just realize it? I should stop thinking about it. Immediately.

And to the reader; I'm sorry to waste your time with these silly, poorly thought out "jokes" that may or may not have been stolen. Accidentally. I blame Denmark. Sorry Denmark!

No comments:

Post a Comment