16.1.13

Day 30 - Danish Culture Lessons / Christiania

This morning, I had the opportunity to take a "Danish Culture" class presented by Anette Pilmark of spousecare. Spousecare is, again, the group supplied - generously - by Novo to get the spouse, in this case me, adjusted to Denmark.


I made the choice to walk - it was about 2.5 miles each way. About 40 minutes or so.

It was a great class. There was great conversation. I met many other ex-pats, and learned a bunch. Great experience.

After class we walked our way to Christiania.


You can read the Wiki, but to summarize; it's a bit of a squatters paradise / hippie commune right in the middle of the oldest area of Copenhagen.

Did I mention the dogs?

Big, super friendly, dogs. Everywhere. Loose. Running amok. 

The dogs were at highest density in the "green light district", formerly called "pusher street". Use your imagination.

Needless to say, the experience was quite surreal. I would have pictures but there is a sign in the entrance to the green light district that specifically prohibits them. It also prohibits running as "it causes panic". Sounds about right.

Another product of Christiania, the Christiania Bike. They're super expensive, and they are everywhere. Kids enjoying a sweet ride.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous18/1/13 19:43

    I hope you visit Christiania again. I would love to hear more stories and descriptions of this 'utopia'.

    Some of those bikes look pretty fun.

    ReplyDelete