24.1.13

Day 38 - Ich bin ein Berliner?!

Perhaps. At least for a long weekend.

It's almost certain that we are all Berliners in the Mayor Qui...er...JFK sense. This obviously excludes any pinko-hugochavez-obamacare-russkies in the audience. I may need to excuse myself.

Thanks to the amazingly awesome cheaposity of easyJet, Emily and I will be headed to Berlin at the beginning of March to celebrate my 35th - insert sad trombone here - birthday.

In the meantime, I plan on learning all of the cold war facts that I've failed to learn / forgotten.

Here's where you - the loyal reader - come in. I need suggestions. Places to go. Things to see. Food to eat.

Ich glaube an dich, Berliners!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! Berlin is a super-cool city with a great mix of old and new, pre- and post-communism. There is a really cool church that was bombed, so the remnants of the old church is a museum and the new church is really modern with blue windows (Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church, if my googling is correct). I also really enjoyed the Reichstag and the Checkpoint Charlie Museum (open late)! The holocaust museum was also good, and the building itself and the "garden" are really cool. Also, be sure to look out for the walk/don't walk signals in former East vs. former West Germany to check out the Ampelmännchen (Rettet die Ampelmännchen!!). My favorite german food is schweinshaxe, which is roasted pork knuckle--basically a big piece of pork on a bone with a deliciously-crispy skin. It is a Bavarian specialty, so maybe not available in Berlin. I also like schweinbraten (roasted pork loin-ish), which usually comes with delicious sauerkraut, a must-have if you are in Germany. Of course, there are also delicious sausages to have (sehr gut!). Be sure to have some beer (also likely from Bavaria, although there may be some northern Germany brews). Have fun!

    ReplyDelete