6.1.13

Day 20 - My First European Mass

This post is especially for my Catholic family members...

I just returned from my first experience with mass in a different country.  Although there are a few English-speaking masses around the city, they all seemed to be quite a distance from my flat.  So laziness prevailed and I went to the local Danish mass. Jesu Hjerte Kirke which roughly translates to the Sacred Heart of Jesus Church shown here.



As Denmark is a highly secular country I expected mass to be empty, with maybe just a handful of elderly parishioners.  I was wrong.  It was actually quite full.  I'm not sure if that is a function of it being the Feast of the Epiphany (which I believe is a bit more celebrated in Europe than in America) or a function of there only being one Sunday morning mass or both.  But either way it was nice to see so many people, and of all ages as well.  

The church was smaller inside than I expected (also a possible source of mass seeming so crowded) only about 15 pews deep -- but four sections across.  There was a lot of stained glass inside.  It was actually quite pretty.

Mass was of course in Danish but I dutifully followed along in the missalette(?) which was also in Danish.  Maybe this will be a good way for me to learn the language...at least the holy side of things.  

Overall, I may not have gotten too much out of the readings or homily, but it was a familiar, comforting experience.   


No comments:

Post a Comment