12.1.13

Day 26 - The Six Mile Walk

Today, for fun and exploratory research, Emily and I made the trek to Islands Brygge (sounds something like, ees-lands broy-geh) to check out the lay of the land. It's an interesting development area - many former industrial buildings that have been transformed into high end apartment complexes.

Here's our path.


To properly orient yourself, the green "play button" bubble is our house. The red dot is the Gemini Residence, the dual silos which I mentioned in a previous post. The green dot is the Fisketorvet mall / shopping center. The black dot is the Carlsberg elephant gates.

So we crossed over the havnebade (harbor baths) via the langebro bridge.



The building in the second picture is part of the massive Nykredit complex / compound. It's tough to see from the picture but it's essentially some sort of crazy three-dimensional solid balanced at all sorts of weird angles. Here's a better picture on a better day.


I'd love to see the interior. A severely sloped first floor would be unlikely, but awesome!

Next we made our way along the havnebade. Bath here is more synonymous with beach / beachgoing. For example, there's this.


It did not look like a fun place to swim today, but I imagine it's fun in the summer. Everyone loves the baltic sea.

Next it was on to the fisketorvet mall. To get to the mall we crossed a narrow foot / bike bridge. I don't know if it's a Copenhagen thing, but people have covered the suspension wires with padlocks. Thousands of them.


Upon further research, they are love padlocks.


We entered the mall from the food court. They even had good 'ol Mexican food from Indiana!


We did not eat at Indiana Tex Mex, but it was described as "latin food". There was a buffet which definitely had mac and cheese, spaghetti with tomato sauce, and some sort of fried tater tots and / or chicken fingers. We wandered the mall for a bit. It was nice to get warm. Popped into a game and card store, Bog & Idé.




The Cluedo villains look particularly menacing. There were a series of games that looked interesting called "ego", but I still can't read danish so I have no idea what they are. Perhaps some day.

Then it was to McDonald's. Yes. We are exactly like that.


I assure the reader, there is nothing wrong with me / my face. This is what it actually looks like. 

Finally, it was time to head back home, we stopped by the Carlsberg complex / gates.





I am glad that they clarified the swastika. It's not that kind of swastika! Carl didn't know!

I also liked seeing Carl and Ottilia looking down at us.

As suggested by the title of the post, the total walk was something like six miles. I walked all the way to Islands Brygge and boy are my legs tired!

No comments:

Post a Comment