9.1.13

WotD #4 - Kvajebajer

One of the most - in my opinion - endearing aspects of Danish culture is the concept of "self irony" / not-taking-yourself-too-seriously. It's a difficult concept and it probably rubs many non-Danes the wrong way, but I'm a fan.

I especially enjoy this description.
Drop an watermelon onto your foot? Ho!Accidentally try to go down the "up" escalator while carrying a lot of luggage? Ho! Ho!Stumble while trying to balance a tray full of drinks from the bar, spilling $75 worth of pasta and cocktails onto the floor? Ho! Ho! Ho! No one will try to help, but everyone will have a smile at your expense. This is because you should not be taking yourself too seriously. You are everyone's silent movie comedian today.
I met today with my "spousal support" fixer / handler / helper / overall contact, Sys. We had a great chat about all things Denmark / Copenhagen / etc. To paraphrase something - possibly my favorite thing - she taught me; many Danes think very highly of their sense of humor, regardless of their comedy skill. Excellent.

So the kvajebajer, it's the "shame beer" or the "humble pie beer". Basically, do something stupid that everyone laughs at? Buy them a kvajebajer. I like the idea.



Special thanks to Xander Mellish, who inspired today's post and provided the quote above.

1 comment:

  1. People watching sounds more fun in Denmark!10/1/13 18:18

    and now I envision Denmark to be a series of slapstick comedy.
    The park is filled with rakes for that clumsy man to accidentally walk on one.
    Streets are covered in banana peels and there are no manhole covers.
    Pianos are constantly being brought up high rise buildings by cranes.

    I really like the idea of kvajebajer. I'm going to use that, though I might sometimes substitute beer with candy since candy is easy to travel with.

    ReplyDelete