20.1.13

Day 34 -- My first attempt at baking

Tonight Collin and I are having our first guest over for dinner.  To celebrate the occasion I decided to attempt to bake chocolate chip cookies.  What could be more simple than that?!

To start with, the ingredients.



 Everything in the Danish grocery stores are in very small containers.  I used almost half the bag of brown sugar on just this batch of cookies.   Baking soda was difficult to find until I looked up what it was called and how it was packaged.   Chocolate chips are nearly impossible to find.  I was all set to just break up some chocolate bars when Collin found this package of chocolate morsels (about the size and shape of dimes).  I'm still not sure what our "butter" actually is, butter or margarine, salted or unsalted, but I just went with it.

I followed a recipe courtesy of this blog from an american in denmark.  This procedure went against all my "training" as a baker.  Measurements were greatly approximated, dough was overly handled, oven temperature was adjusted a few times during baking.


I also purchased a shiny new hand mixer and baking sheet (thanks Jamie Oliver) for this.





The recipe seems pretty good although in my opinion it called for way too much flour.  I should have gone with my gut and cut back but I did not.   But here's the dough....it tastes good, just a little dry.



I baked the first batch as rounded tablespoons as per the instructions, but the cookies didn't spread at all (again, too much flour...and my butter may not have been butter after all).   But after that I made flattened cookies and those were at least flatter, but still cakey.   Overall, the cookies taste good but I wouldn't exactly call them chocolate chip cookies, more like chocolate chip mini-cakes!


Not too bad for my first attempt at baking in Copenhagen!

1 comment:

  1. small chocolate chip in bag is hard to find in Denmark. unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete