5.1.13

How I Commute to Work

A bit on the public transportation system here…as viewed from my commute to work. More about the confusing system of ticketing will come later.

Overall the system is very good and well-run, not surprisingly. My commute as of now consists of a 15 min walk to the large metro station where I catch the M1 or M2. From what I can tell, those are the only two trains and go to the same place…west at least. I think they diverge in the east direction. The metro (or their subway system) is all electric with no conductors. I believe you can sit in the very front and watch the train traverse the tunnels. I have not done so. But this electric set up also means everything is automatic and this particular train, at least, comes every 2 min. I think I was told they run 24 hours which is nice for airport runs.

So getting the metro is easy. I take that about 5 stops to the end of the line. At this point I transfer to the H or C line train….different from the metro…this goes farther out of the city. In my two days of commuting this has been easy. I haven’t waited longer than maybe 3 minutes for the next train. I am told this is where things can get back up and delayed. Especially in bad weather if there is any ice or snow on the tracks. My commute has also been quite empty but I think that is a function of most people still being on holiday. Next week should be a different story.

The train ride is about 5-9 stops depending on whether I get an express or local train. The trains are clean and modern and quite comfortable. Everything is clearly marked (in Danish of course). After the train I have a few options. What I have been doing, and will probably continue doing, is hop on a bus that takes me to work. Again, the bus has always been sitting there waiting for me so it has been easy. I am told that is not always the case. Another option is to walk – I believe it’s a little over a mile (a little less than 2 km). A third is to buy a cheap bike and keep it at the station and bike back and forth. I think I will stick with the bus for now.

That’s my commute. About an hour door to door including all the walking. I will probably look into a bike for at least that first 15 min walk. Alternatively I can take a bus outside my flat that takes me directly to the station where I get the H or C train. As I was commuting with a colleague the first few days I didn’t try that…but I may.

The trip home is the same in reverse. I am proud to say I did it alone both times; although, the first day was a little harrowing as I had no smart phone, no train timetables or no map. I missed two busses just leaving my office by waiting in the wrong spot, delaying me by 45 min!! but after that it went quite smoothly. Friday’s commute was easy.

Oh, I also noticed the following sign on my bus ride. No popsicles? No hot dogs? No drinks? 
\

And my fellow Bostonites (and yes I include Cambridge and Somerville in there) might be happy to know they have this on all the trains. I picked one up and pretended I could read it so people might think I knew what I was doing





2 comments:

  1. hjaelp is a great Scrabble word!7/1/13 22:32

    Wow, so specific with foods you cannot enjoy while riding the metro!

    Your note about picking up the newspaper and pretending to read made me picture you as a detective on a stake out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technically "ae" is one letter "æ" which might be a little difficult in scrabble. Oddly enough, I did see a young boy eating a Popsicle that looked JUST like the picture today as he waited for the train. Hopefully he was not getting on any buses any time soon.

    I often feel spy-like on the train...especially since I can't understand what anyone is saying so I'm good at looking like I'm not eavesdropping!

    ReplyDelete