27.2.14

Day 427 - A belated Happy Birthday

George Harrison and I share the 25th of February as far as birthdays go. I've just now - finally - enjoyed Martin Scorsese's Living in the Material World, a two part documentary on the life and times of George.One of my favorite lighter moments is this; Tom Petty reminiscing about that time when George taught him how to play the ukulele. Sadly, I cannot find the clip. Just imagine Tom's voice when you read this.
"He came in with two ukuleles and gave me one. 'You gotta play this thing, it's great! Let's jam.' I have no idea how to play a ukulele. 'Oh, it's no problem, I'll show you.' So we spent the rest of the day playing ukuleles, strolling around the yard. My wrist hurt the next day. But he taught me how to play it, and a lot of the chord formations. When he was going I walked out to the car and he said, 'Well, wait... I want to leave some ukuleles here.' He'd already given me one, so I said, 'Well, I've got this.' 'No, we may need more!' He opened his trunk and he had a lot of ukulele in there, and I think he left four at my house. He said, 'Well, you never know when we might need them, because not everybody carries one around.'" 
I really enjoyed it. Paul - predictably - comes off as a bit of an ass, but it's a documentary about George, right? Anyway, happy birthday George.

No comments:

Post a Comment