3.2.14

Day 403 - Super Bowl

I love American football. Scratch that, I love football - thanks Kevin Costner!

I've broached this subject before, but there's something about living abroad that has awakened the long dormant capital "A" American hiding deep inside me. I've never felt the need to feel "American" before. I've never described myself - internally - as such. But here? I'm an American. I am a real American! It's a weird feeling to suddenly have this designation thrust upon me, but I'm there now.

We have hosted / co-hosted / attended many Superbowl festivities in years past which - at their best - have proved a glorious excuse for gluttonous excess and football. Here are a few of the funtime invites that I've put together in the past. Enjoy my spare time and rudimentary / mad Photoshop skillz.



For many years I dubbed it - or perhaps cdubbed it - the "Chili con Superbowl". Yes, I stole this from Eric Cartman. Mostly, I made chili, we watched the Superbowl, and fun was had by all. As things progressed, I've attempted to make something that might approximate the regional tastes for any of the cities involved - be it either of the teams involved or the host site.

It's both weird and great when you do this kind of thing with just two. When you're abroad and have to stay up until 12:30 for kickoff? It's doubly weird, but it's a fun time. You can cook whatever you want. For example; you can "represent" "Seattle" with jalapeño poppers stuffed with smoked salmon! No one will complain! (Note, these were actually awesome, I should patent them)


There was an original plan for some sort of Denver omelette, but that was vetoed. Had I access to bison, I would have done bison sliders, but here we'll have to settle for plain old beef. From left to right you have bernaise / mushroom / onion, AMERICAN, and blue cheese / BBQ / mushroom / onion. Yes!


Somehow I thought it was a good idea to do some sort of shrimp / pineapple skewer. It probably wasn't.


And as is always necessary, a seven-layer dip. It's seven, Emily assured me. Delicious times seven.


To finish up, dessert. Chocolate? Check. Caramel? Check. Delicious? Check.


It was a fun, stomach-filling / scorching, Superbowl Sunday / Monday. What more can you ask for? 

6 comments:

  1. Tom K, senior, very4/2/14 10:03

    Though I have never lived in Europe, I traveled there A LOT. I know what you mean about being an "American" in Europe. Great effort on watching the superbowl. You probably watched more than I did and I was in bed by 10 pm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do they also call it American cheese? Do they import both white and yellow varieties?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interestingly enough I've had this conversation with Danes! It was a confusing one.

    They have the cell-o-phane wrapped cheese slices at the store that we would probably associate with American cheese. You can't get the blocks and I have yet to find a somewhat less processed version resembling actual cheese. Predictably, they find this disgusting.

    When I asked / spoke about "American cheese" they didn't understand that I was talking about one-specific-style of cheese but instead thought I was talking about all cheeses made in America. No, we make all kinds of cheese in America, this is just one style! Although my Wiki search leads me to believe that American cheese isn't really cheese at all. Now it's me that's confused.

    I'm also annoyed that I cannot find Jack or Colby. I also miss having a deli counter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I will also add that I cheated on that "American" burger and went with Cheddar. I am not a real American.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6/2/14 15:38

    You know what they call a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?

    ReplyDelete