22.3.13

Day 95 -- More observations from Denmark

Today is just a quick blog before I meet some friends for dinner...and in keeping with the stereotype of Danish friends being hard to come by, these are not Danes, but instead fellow expats.

Anyway. a few notes about Denmark.

Next Sunday is Easter as some of you may know.  I would say Easter is not a very big holiday in the US.  As a kid, of course, it is...easter baskets, eggs, candy, bunnies, etc.  And as a Catholic (and other Christian denominations) it is as well.  But in general, for non children, non religious folks I would say it is not so.  Maybe a special dinner with family/friends, maybe not.  maybe you disagree but that is my opinion.  But in Denmark this is clearly not the case.  Despite being told over and over that Denmark is a VERY secular country, Easter is a B-I-G deal.  The whole country pretty much shuts down for Skærtorsday (Holy Thursday), Langfredag (Good Friday), Påskedag (Easter Sunday), and 2. Påskedag (Easter Monday). Everyone is off work and all stores, including grocery stores, are closed.   Most people take the whole week off work.  I do not have that many vacation days yet so I am still working.   But my lab is also in the middle of moving next week which means I will not have an office to go to for Monday or Tuesday at least, so this means I will be working from home.

Other fun observations.  Today my grocery store was full of free samples...I saw a few cheese stations and some chips.  but my favorite was the shots of Southern Comfort.  I did not partake.

Also, walking home I noticed the following cake in the window of the bakery.  I guess there are some big X-Factor fans here.


That is all for now.  I am off to return the keys to our temporary apartment.  I promise pictures of our new place shortly.  I am still in the process of getting things put away.



No comments:

Post a Comment