7.3.13

Berlin - Sunday, Day 2 - Painstation! and Currywurst

Before we met up with our favorite Münchener, Emily and I took the U-bahn to the Brandenburg gate. Portents of things to come?



As I walked by, Mario definitely said - in his best Mario voice - mamma mia! My only complaint is that if you're going to do Mario and Luigi you need short / stumpy and tall / lanky. Think Gervais / Merchant.  Oh well, it was still a good mamma mia. If Wario was there I might have lost it.


You are now looking - from the East - at the Brandenburg Gate. In 1989, from the West, it looked like this.


I'll give more on the Trabant (Trabi) tomorrow when I do the DDR Museum, but here's a quick look at some painted up ones that are part of Trabi Safari.



Cristoph has a tremendous skill at finding awesome niche museums / sights. Berlin was no exception. Willkommen im Computerspielemuseum.

It was fantastic. Plenty of time to learn about the history of video games and long nostalgically for the years when you totally pwned Klax on the TurboGrafx-16. And by you, I mean me.

So the museum. Tons of fun stuff. We played tabletop Puckman!




Vintage video games are freaking hard. I am particularly terrible at Donkey Kong.


I did do well at Frogger. Sadly Centipede was occupied. You know what wasn't occupied? 3D F-Zero!


No, I am not just trying to look cool. This was the only way to keep the glasses from falling off. I finished a disappointing third.

The jewel of the museum was the Painstation. To use it you need to sign a waiver. And have museum staff turn it on. The instructions.


Yes, this is S&M Pong. Only in Germany. Time to start.



Christoph is apparently terrible at Pong. Here is some screaming after the whip / shock.


And the heater.


Christoph was the first to crack. It's just as well, I really didn't want to find out how far I was willing to go to win a game of Painstation.

Afterwards we went to Curry 36 for the very Berlin Currywurst.



A little too much sweet tomato-y and a little too little curry for my taste, but it was still fun.

Next up, Collin and Emily learn what life was really like in East Germany at the very interactice DDR Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment