8.9.13

Day 256 -- København Zoo

Day 288 256 is somewhat of an estimate now exact thanks to Collin...it's been a long time.  We apologize for those that look forward to reading our blog.  August was a pretty busy month for us.   We have a lot more to update...I went to the US, Novo had a pretty big summer party, and Collin and I went to Barcelona.  But for now I am going to skip ahead to the more recent past and blog about our trip to the zoo this afternoon.


Collin and I live down the block from the København Zoo...this seems to be a regular occurrence for us as we lived in walking distance to the zoo in Boston as well.   As this weekend was gorgeous and sunny, and maybe that might not be so common in the upcoming weeks/months, we decided to take advantage of the weather and visit the zoo.

The star is our house...I circled the zoo location
The zoo was actually one of my favorite zoos I have been to in recent memory.  There was a huge range of animals in really neat habitats with lots of interesting information.  We were impressed by how happy and animated all the animals looked.  Again, a big difference between Denmark and the US...it was amazing how close you could get to the animals in some of the exhibits, even touching them and feeding them, despite it not being a "petting zoo".

Case in point:



I also saw people petting the camels, but only got a picture of them before that happened.

These birds are also visible from the park encircling the zoo.

A few more random animals




Here is a selection of frogs and lizards and the like...









 The elephant house is amazingly huge.   These guys can also be seen sometimes from the park encircling the zoo, but I never imagined how large the enclosure is from the inside.  There is a new baby elephant who was pretty lively.   We were there during feeding time.






I think this may be first toucan I have ever seen in person.

Collin was a big fan of the leopards.

We were also there for the feeding of the brown bears.  They seemed to enjoy the ribs more than the celery that was thrown at them.


The newest addition to the zoo is the arctic circle.  The highlight of this is the polar bears.  We missed them swimming but did get to see them being fed fish.



This is a pile of lions.  Although it is hard to see, they are just literally piled on top of each other sleeping, including two new little lion cubs.



We also got to see the hippo exhibit.  I don't think either of us have ever seen such HUGE hippos.  There was a little baby and two giant adults.  These pictures are of the big guy that was closest to us.





In addition to these we saw giraffes, zebras, chimps, a baby monkey of some sort that was born THREE DAYS ago and many many more.   If anyone ever comes to Copenhagen, we highly recommend visiting this zoo.  I will try to close with two videos...of some playing chimps and strolling elephants.






3 comments:

  1. I really liked the videos. Especially the sound. I could hear the animals talking in Danish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little English thrown in there too with the elephants! We realized when we went to Barcelona that Charlie probably didn't hear any English the whole time, but seemed to get by ok. I guess he's bilingual?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. two comments:
    1) I apologize for the grossly incorrect number of days... I looked at Collin's previous post and read the date as a Dane -- 8-July-2013, not Aug-7-2013 -- by the end of this experience I won't know Danish or English anymore!

    2) my coworkers filled me in on some zoo stories this week. Apparently the wolves got out of their pen once and roamed around the park near my house. One of my colleagues who lives sort of close to the zoo woke up one morning to find a toucan in his apple tree. Collin and I did remark about the lax way some of the holding pens were constructed

    ReplyDelete