24.9.13

Day 272 - Danish Essay Writing

As you are probably aware, Emily and I have been taking private Danish lessons though Berlitz for something like eight months. Our class is in our apartment and it is twice a week, on Mondays and Wednesdays.

It can be exhausting. The classes are from 6-8:15. After a full day at work the last thing I want to do is learn. We have had several different teachers but have now settled in with a "permanent" teacher, Andreas. Andreas is great and if I have to take Danish lessons, I'm glad that we have a teacher that we get on well with.

Anyway, as this "module" wraps up, our homework has primarily consisted of writing "essays" about, well, stuff. One essay was about our trip to Barcelona. Another was about "anything we wanted to write about". A third was about "the differences between Danish and American culture".

As you can imagine, it's hard to write about most of this stuff with very limited language skills. The essays tend to read as if they were written by an eight year old. Here is a sample of this week's homework, "what did you do on Saturday?".
i lørdags morgen, løb jeg, Emily, og Charlie i Frederiksberg Have. Jeg har glemt når jeg løb siden. Det var meget svært, men jeg er sjovt jeg lavede det. Mens vi løb, min hundposer faldt op af min lomme. Jeg løb bag at finde dem. Jeg fandt dem og løb bag at besøge Emily og Charlie.  
Efter vi løb, lavede jeg morgenmad. Emily fik yogurt med frugt og jeg fik bacon med æg. Jeg kan godt lide stærk chili sauce med mine æg. 
Efter morgenmad, gik vi til Nørrebro Bazar at køb som mad. Jeg købte tomater, bønner, og oksekød. Det var meget billige. Jeg var sjovt fordi de havde kylling ”wings”. Det har været svært at finde dem i København. 
Jeg købte disse ting for at lave chili. Mine chili er meget stærk normalt, men denne gang det var lille stærk. Det var stille godt.  
Emily og jeg set en film. Den film var ”End of Watch” med Jake Gyllenhall. Han er politimand i Los Angeles. Det var ok, ikke fantastisk. 
It's fun to put this into Google translate for two reasons. One, my Danish is terrible. Two, Google translate's Danish is terrible!
Saturday morning, I ran, Emily and Charlie in Frederiksberg Gardens. I forgot when I run the page. It was very difficult, but I'm funny I made it. While we ran, my dog ​​bags fell out of my pocket. I ran back to find them. I found them and ran back to visit Emily and Charlie. 
After we ran, I made breakfast. Emily got yogurt with fruit and I got bacon with eggs. I like hot chilli sauce with my eggs. 
After breakfast, we went to Nørrebro Bazar to purchase the food. I bought tomatoes, beans and beef. It was very cheap. I was funny because they had chicken "wings". It has been difficult to find them in Copenhagen. 
I bought these things to make chili. My chili is very strong normally, but this time it was little strong. It was quiet good. 
Emily and I watched a movie. The film was "End of Watch" with Jake Gyllenhall. He's a cop in Los Angeles. It was ok, not great.
This whole experience makes me want to re-read Me Talk Pretty One Day.

2 comments:

  1. Cool story, Hansel.

    It made me laugh, literally out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it didn't disturb your office!

    ReplyDelete