12.9.13

Day 260 - It's beginning to look a lot...like...

Christmas?

Americans get a lot of - to use a favorite British phrasing - stick for ramping up for Christmas waaaayyyy too early. I have no problem with that. It's a justifiable criticism.

This morning on the S-Tog I saw not one, but TWO advertisements for julefrokost. For those that can't remember all the way back to the early days when this blog crawled out of the ocean to wreak havoc on unsuspecting plant life, the julefrokost is the Danish Christmas party. It literally translates to Christmas lunch because, shockingly, that's pretty much what it is.

Well, I guess it's a lunch in the sense that everyone sits down to eat food during the day. That's where the similarities probably end.

In an effort to spice up this blog entry I attempted to find an appropriate picture. Aaaaahhhhh, too spicy! Note to others, do not do a GIS for julefrokost at work. Warning! Julefrokost may contain nudity. And possibly vomiting. Julefrokost at your own risk!

From what I can gather, the julefrokost involves sitting down, eating mammoth amounts of food, drinking mammoth amounts of schnapps and beer, and mostly not getting up for any other reason than to go to the toilet or the bar. Did I mention that Danes like to party?

Good news, Collin's work julefrokost - yes my American friends, in Denmark you get paid to do this - will take place on December 13. Two friday the 13ths in one year?! Wish me luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment