3.7.13

Day 196 - Holiday

No not this Holiday.



Or this one.



And sadly not this one.



It would be soooo nice. Fun fact, that's an Arquette on the keyboards!

No, today we're talking about vacation, or as the Danes, Brits, and probably every other non-American people on the planet call it, holiday.

In Denmark, full time employees are all guaranteed five weeks holiday. Novo then supplements this with one more week. Technicians at Novo - due to a longer than standard work week - also get an additional three days. So that's, for those scoring at home, 33 vacation days plus the litany of holidays running from December through May.

You might think to yourself, Collin that's awesome. You are so lucky. Collin thought it was awesome when he moved here. Sad fact, earning holiday in Denmark is very complex.

In Denmark you work in one year to earn holiday for the next year. As I have never worked in Denmark, I have not earned any holiday. So this year, I have the five days from Novo. I'll get a portion of the three extra days as the year moves on. Any vacation I want to take beyond that will cost me money.

Additionally, employees earn vacation from January 1 to December 31. Employees are not allowed to use that earned vacation until May 1. Here's an example. Collin works at Novo Nordisk from March 11 to December 31 of 2013. He has earned approximately 18 days to use in 2014.

I cannot use any of those earned days until May 1. So, from March 11, 2013 to April 30, 1014, I will have a grand total of 7-8 days paid holiday. I'm not totally sure how that bonus three days works.

I will not get my full complement of 33 days holiday until May 2015. Awesome.

Because everyone has so much time off, most people take something like three to four consecutive weeks starting right around now. Next week, by my count, I will be one of only three or four left in my department. The technician I work most closely with is in the midst of a six week vacation to the States. My boss will be gone for four weeks starting Friday.

Ghost. Town. More time in the massage chair for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment