1.7.13

Day 194 - I see drunk people. In white hats.

Yes, it is gymnasium graduation season in København. What does this mean?

Each day I take the Metro / S-tog into work in the wee hours of the morning. I leave the flat at around twenty after five.

Two weeks ago, I began to see all sorts of young people - in white sailor-y hats - staggering home from a loooooong night out. Hats like this.


The band / insignia on the hat represents the school and the area of study.

My commute has recently been made more perilous by sticky / slippery floors. The Metro has resembled - for these past two weeks - Kam's. Think sticky, beer soaked floor, and then throw in some McDonald's dehydrated onions and ketchup to slippery things up. Fun times.

If I haven't mentioned it earlier, Danes like to party. And when it's time to party Danes will always party hard. It is day 194, and I can't begin to describe how happy I am to finally throw in an Andrew W. K. reference. It almost makes up for the previous Kam's reference. Almost.

Danish graduates pop on their white hats, jump onto trucks / other big vehicles, and travel from parent's house to parent's house, drinking at each along the way. Blasting dance music. Thanks to Emily, here's what the vehicles look like.





I think that this past weekend was the peak of the "party truck" season. There was an endless queue of truck after truck of rowdy teenage Danes celebrating graduation. Sadly, I don't think that I heard any Aqua. Much to the chagrin of my colleague Anders, Aqua is easily the most famous Danish band. Ever.

Come on Barbie! Let's go party!

1 comment:

  1. Loved your description, Collin! Seems like a fun time to be in Denmark! Hope you're staying safe and that you're drinking some beer, responsibly of course. Check out the movie "Another Round" if you're interested in how I found your page!

    ReplyDelete