18.6.13

KBH Restaurants : Barburrito

As mentioned in a previous post - HERMANO! - Emily, Michael, I checked out Barburrito. It is, of all things, a tasty, surprisingly authentic, Mexican place in København.

A few weeks ago I went out to bowl and gorge myself at an Italian buffet with some of my fellow male Spousecare spouses. It was fun. Here I am enjoying myself with my counselor, Sys.


We got on to talking about restaurants and what not. I mentioned that I missed Mexican food and Steven, a spouse from the Netherlands, mentioned Barburrito. Thanks Steven!

It's just a short walk from Nørreport, in a basement spot next to a tattoo parlor. We almost missed it and thought it had been closed and turned into a tatto parlor. It's a pretty un-assuming, small, sparse place. Stainless steel tables. Tiny paper napkins in those napkin dispensers you would see at an American diner. Two broken down wooden benches outside for "garden" seating.

When we arrived - probably a bit early - it was pretty empty, but filled up shortly. It was a fun vibe once things got going. We started with some tasty margaritas, very solid guacamole with plantain chips, and some cod ceviche. Yes, plantains! I need to figure out where these plantains came from. First good thing, there was heat! I find with most approximations of Mexican food, there's a fear of heat, this was not the case at Barburrito. Thanks Barburrito!

Emily had some corn on the cob that reminded me of the very Central American elote. They had a version of this at Toro. Both were delicious.

Tacos are the main deal here. They have five different types.


Michael and I both opted for the full set. The ugens taco this week was a slow cooked / smoked lamb. It was good. I was most impressed with the care in assembly - lots of nice little touches. Each taco had so many different elements. Emily and I thought the veal was best, with the roast chicken the least interesting - but still tasty. I really enjoyed the shrimp as well - the black beans were a nice touch.



They had habanero hot sauce! Delicious and hot.

The corn tortillas were very good, albeit small - even for corn tortillas.

All said and done, I will definitely go back. Really good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment