16.6.13

Day 179 - You can take the boy out of Central Illinois

But you can't kill his love of biscuits and gravy.


I'm about 99.9% positive that I am the only one eating this in Denmark this morning. As an aside, biscuits and gravy may be the least photogenic food ever. I added the paprika to make this picture look better and it didn't help.

Fun fact about Danish breakfast. They don't like sausage. Or eggs. Or bacon. Or pancakes. Or waffles. Or really anything that makes breakfast awesome. They like bread. Butter. Cheese. Cold cuts. Marmalade.

Yes, they prefer cold cuts to sausage or bacon. Cold cuts.

So if you're in Denmark and you want some biscuits and gravy, here's what you do. First, you have your wife make some biscuits the night before for strawberry shortcake. Thanks Emily! Thanks Ina Garten

Next you go to the grocery store and try to locate the closest approximation of breakfast sausage. Since Danes don't eat sausage for breakfast, there is no such thing as breakfast sausage. I settled on something raw from Antonius. The only labeling was "medister, 11% fedt" which just means "sausage, 11% fat". Helpful! After opening the package and removing the casing, I think I chose well. This was nice and garlic-y. Good start.

I ripped it up into chunks, threw it in the cast iron, added some red pepper flake, sage, and black pepper and got to work. Brown it up, add some flour, add some more flour. At this point I would normally add whole milk, but I didn't have any so I went with a skim / heavy cream mixture. Surely what skim milk was meant for. Then just simmer away with a lot of black pepper.

Verdict? Delicious. Thank you to the Pioneer Woman for the basic steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment