10.5.13

Day 142 - Metro Systems without Drivers

As I've mentioned before, the København metro traverses the city in an automated manner, sans drivers. It works well for the most part. The only discernable difference from a city like Boston is that the voice announcing the stops sounds more like a female Stephen Hawking than the RZA. Downtown Cwossing.

Things run awry when this happens.


That's the Vanløse stop directly ahead. My train is stopped. Panic sets in.

How long will this train sit here? Does anyone know that it's sitting here?

Luckily, it stopped for about 3-4 minutes and started again. I made my S-tog and was good to go.

Additional fun fact, I am the only technician at work today. It is a "technician" holiday that the technician union negotiated for. I have cells to take care of so I mentioned that I might be coming in today to do so. It's no big deal for me, I'm used to coming in for a couple of hours to take care of stuff on the occasional weekend / day off.

No. Big. Deal.

You'd think that I had said something crazy. So many people came up and asked me about it and told me not to come in. That it's not my responsibility. That I should make one of the scientists take care of my cells for me. That the union earned this for us and it's basically our responsibility not to work.

To put this in perspective, I got in this morning at around 6 - it's 10:45 right now and I'm just finishing up. On stuff that I know exactly what to do. I was advised to give approximately 5 hours of work to a scientist who either hasn't ever worked with me or is almost never in the lab. Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment