6.5.13

Day 138 OT - An actual conversation during Danish class

Teacher : Collin, have you been practicing your Danish "R"?

Collin : Yes, but I am terrible at it. When I try to do it, I sound like Frankenstein. RRRRRRRR.

Teacher : Yes, that is quite ugly. Collin, "hvor kommer du fra?" (where do you come from?)

Collin : Jeg kommer fra USA. (I come from the USA)

Teacher : Hvad byen kommer du fra? (What city do you come from?)

Collin : Boston.

Teacher (to James, another American) : James, hvor kommer du fra?

James : Jeg kommer fra Louisiana.

Teacher : Can I hear your Danish "R"

James : (says danish word with a Danish "R" in it)

Teacher : That's great. I don't know why you can do this so easily but Collin cannot do it.

Collin : (dumbstruck / I can't believe people can be this horrible / rude / non-self-aware face)

--

This, in a nutshell, is why I hate hate hate this class. I was very close to walking out at the break. If I had a microphone, it would have been dropped yesterday. Possibly with expletives. I considered dropping the workbook on the floor, but I am neither spontaneous nor theatrical.

This is also, in a nutshell, a summary of the microcosm of the - insert other redundant word here - that is / are the growing number of innumerable things I hate about living here.

This is why many Danes - and without a doubt not all of them - are among the rudest people I have ever met. Anywhere. I lived in freaking Boston for six years! I've flown through ORD dozens of times! It's amazing.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7/5/13 08:12

    You should get her to speak something in English. Return the favor by correcting her pronunciation while laughing at the same time. She will then realize you are becoming somewhat Danish !!!!
    TK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7/5/13 08:13

    Sorry, forget the laughing part...

    ReplyDelete