14.2.13

Day 59 -- Happy Valentine's day!

Denmark does not really celebrate Valentine's Day.  At least not like America.  Although they are moving towards that.  Some one did bring heart-shaped chocolates into work today for our coffee break...of course she was actually Swedish, where maybe it is getting a little bigger than it is here.  I wore red to work but was the only one :)   Collin and I do live by a large amount of floral shops, bakeries, and a few chocolate shops.  so I have seen a lot of Valentine displays but I think that is pretty unusual.  Everyone at work seemed very interested though to hear what Collin and I had planned....they may not celebrate Valentine's Day but they know America does and seem fascinated by it.  I'm not sure if flowers and a specially prepared dinner satisfied what they were craving from us!  

Collin did purchase a heart shaped platter of sushi as an appetizer.   I should have taken a picture for this blog but sadly didn't think about it until after we ate it.  It was pretty fun though.  He did buy me these gorgeous tulips.  One thing Denmark definitely does right is flowers.  I am amazed by the spring flowers that have been for sale at our local florists since we moved here...tulips, hyacinths, crocuses.  Beautiful and inexpensive.  and often outside.  I'm not sure how that works with all the snow and below freezing temperatures we have been experiencing!  but I still see them all going strong.


After the sushi we shared a bottle of cava and some spaghetti and meat sauce (with ground beef left over from the nachos I made this weekend, but my request nonetheless!)  for dessert Collin bought some special "Hello Kitty" treats.  Why Hello Kitty?  Why not?!   This is the first valentines in years that I did not bake anything.  My chocolate chip cookie experience a few weeks ago depressed me until I get all my own kitchen utensils/equipment back and figure out what kind of butter I purchase.  maybe I will be up and running by St. Patrick's Day!?  we get our stored stuff back March 8.  I can not wait!  Stay tuned.



Happy Valentine's Day!!!  Glædelig Valentinsdag!

No comments:

Post a Comment