4.7.14

Day 552 - 4th of July Amager Style

My friend Anders happily informed me that there would be a 4th of July party at the Amager Bryghus. Amager makes some pretty badass beer, and really any chance to experience Amerikanerdag with some Danes is well worth it. Also, note, that's pronounced AH-mah.

I met up with Anders, his friends, and our friend Scott at Ølbuttiken, an awesome bottle shop run by Anders' friend Morten. Great stuff on hand, good atmosphere, good times. Morten referred to my small kroner as "washers" - they have holes in them - and it forced me to try to share the David Puddy Kroner awesomeness but I failed massively. Sorry Morten. Sorry Larry David.

We had some beers and some cheese / cured meat from Spain / cheese / olives / homemade liver paste / etc. It was great. I thoroughly enjoyed both of my beers. Specifically the Wookiee. It made me want to break it down like Chewbacca.

Next it was a train ride to the brewery...except...the train was broken! The train we attempted to take goes all the way to Sweden - it's a shared Danish / Swedish endeavor. According to the train staff, the Danish system was failing this Swedish train. Scandinavian squabbles! We sat on the tracks for about 20 minutes. This should have been an eight minute trip. The sent us back to the central station and we finally grabbed another train.

Finally, we made it to the brewery!


Yes, in case you didn't notice from my terrible photo, Amerikanerdag involves classic cars! It also involves rockabilly!


It also involves delicious beer!


Favorites of the day were No Rice & Curry and Shadow Pictures Double IPA. Shadow pictures was ridiculously good. I split a 12-case with Anders and I should have gone all Shadow Pictures. For shame.

I learned that until recently, it was illegal - without permit, and it might still well be illegal - to fly any flag other than the Danish flag. America. F&*K YEAH.


Afterwards, we hit Fermentoren - literally The Fermentor - for some nice beer garden chill. This place was great. Solid tap list. Solid prices, but really, the outdoor seating sold it. Perfect.

Thank you fellow travelers for an excellent day.

No comments:

Post a Comment