1.8.13

WotD #24 - Muslinger

I always thought that muslinger meant mussels. In the way that I use the word mussels. This delicious sort.


In reality the word means most shellfish that grow in, get ready for it, a shell. Our mussel is really the blå musling. We totally talked about this before! Scallops are called kammuslinger and clams are hjertemuslinger. No worries Roy, oysters are special enough that they get their own name. Østers. As in, Roy og Collin kan spise mange østers.

Our Danish teacher Andreas tried to explain kammuslinger to us, but both Emily and I failed to understand what he was talking about. Later in the lesson we asked how to say scallops, as in, jeg kan godt lide scallops. After a bit of fussing around we realized that he already taught us the word for scallops. We are smart.

Quick Danish lessson. Most - and I say this loosely - Danish words can be pluralized by adding an -er at the end. Musling. Muslinger. Confusing fact. Most Danish present tense verbs end in -er. Fun times.

This follows in what I've learned about Danish and English while I've been studying Danish. We have so many words in English. So many. Too many words! Danish, eh, not so much. I don't know what this tells me about the Danes and the English / Americans / Canadians / everyone else in the world that speaks English.

No comments:

Post a Comment