12.6.14

Day 530 - Pointless Rules and Manners - When / how to use a Knife and Fork

When I was in the States I was shamed by the Danes with whom I was traveling for two specific failures of "etiquette".

One. Eating a burger with my hands. In a restaurant.

Everyone ate their burgers with a knife and fork! How do you eat it? With your hands?



Yes, I eat it with my freaking hands! Because it is a freaking hamburger! I am not an animal!

Two. Using a fork - instead of a knife - to cut pieces of something. Let's say something like, oh I don't know, a freaking fried fish filet. Come on, that doesn't even require a knife! It's not like I'm trying to cut a steak with a fork. For shame Collin, for shame.

As I've mentioned before, this is not exactly a manners driven society and I find this stuff - to say the least - confusing and - to say the most - ridiculous. I am an ugly American and I eat things with my hands and I cut things with my fork. I'm Collin, I'm disgusting. Send me to the Danish version of finishing school. Immediately.

I mention all of this now because last night I had some visiting Americans and a few members of my team over for mexican food. Tacos. Cochinita Pibil to be precise. I wasn't able to source any masa harina, but I had enough to make eight delicious corn tortillas. This is how you eat it. With. Your. Hands.


You could even use one hand if you wanted. Because it's small. And it's delicious. And it's street food. And it is, in a every sense conceivable, casual. Food of the people. For the love of god it is a taco!

Everyone used a knife and fork. The Americans - perhaps shamed by an earlier conversation - used a knife and fork. Flabber. Gasted.

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit, I felt self-conscious using my hands yesterday while I ate said cochinita pibil. and was amazed all the americans were using a knife and fork...until I was informed about the previous shaming. that's what napkins are for. Although Danes have a weird use of napkins as well, or I should say "non-use"

    ReplyDelete